In a video released on twitch by Nintendo at 5pm EST the crew working on Fire Emblem made three major announcements regarding the franchise. Below you will find the announcement summarized with a few of my thoughts attached.
Three major announcements
1. Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia Echoes (Complete remake of Gaiden)
- The Game is a major release for 3ds
- Brings the NES Japan-exclusive game to the modern era and to international markets.
- There will be a set of Fire Emblem Amiibo released with the game
Thoughts: Out of all three announcements this is the one that intrigues me the most. Not only is this a remake of an old Japan-only fire emblem, it is also has mechanics and features that I have not seen in a fire emblem game to date. I think it’ll be a hit!
2. Fire Emblem: Warriors
- Will be released on the Switch and 3ds
- Based off the Koei’s Warriors series
- Released Q3 of 2017
Thoughts: I have enjoyed many warriors games in the past. I think this will be another enjoyable game. It doesn’t stick out to me as a must-have instead it will be a later pick-up when the price drops.
3. Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch (Working Title)
- The game will be released in 2018.
- Referenced the last console Fire Emblem Game that was released in 2007.
- Not a detailed part of the presentation.
Thoughts: This part of the announcement was the least detailed. I’m excited for there to be a new Fire Emblem released for a console. It has been quite sometime since radiant dawn (Wii) so I’m glad they haven’t abandoned Console games as I was afraid of.
4. Fire Emblem Heroes for Mobile Devices
- Mobile specific Fire Emblem Game.
- Optimized for handheld (Smaller maps that fit smartphone screens and easier controls).
- Releases free-to-play on February 2 on Android and Apple.
- Simplified Gameplay to make the game more approachable for mobile players.
Thoughts: What I hope Fire Emblem doesn’t become is a mobile money sucker. The reveal makes me think that summoning heroes will be random and you’ll always be able to get a “stronger” version of each character from continuing to summon. This sounds like a version of supply drops in COD. If you’ve spent any time reading this blog or listening to our podcast you know how we feel about this. If you don’t know, we aren’t fans of this style of profiteering.
I was really hoping that a mobile fire emblem would be a full game at purchase. One that doesn’t encourage children to spend all of their parents money on chance-based rewards. Alas, this is not what they are offering. I’ll probably still play it… but with a somber spirit thinking of what it could have been…
What do you think of all these announcements? Comment, like, subscribe!
If you’d like to watch the Fire Emblem direct video here is the link.
3 thoughts on “Fire Emblem Direct Summary and Thoughts”
I loved this direct so much! I was definitely expecting to see Warriors and the mobile game, but I was never expecting another 3DS entry just one year after we got Fates! Echoes looks fantastic and I absolutely can’t wait to play it in May 😀
I know! It seems like such a quick turn around! Im excited to play it none the less!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Same! I’m especially happy that we’re only getting one version of the game as well and not three like last time. I love Fates, but by them time I was done with all of them, I had clocked 100+ hours and was starting to feel burnt out.
That said, do you share your posts on any other websites? I work over at Creators .Co (we’re part of Movie Pilot and Now Loading) and this is the sort of content that makes for an interesting read. If you were open to the idea of posting your work on our Creators site in addition to also having your blog/site here, I’d be more than happy to help you get started. My e-mail and more info can be found on my page. (o^.^)b