54: The Nintendo Switch
Tim Miller leaves Deadpool 2 after “creative differences with Ryan Reynolds”
Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer
- Releasing Fall 2017, could be prequel to Red Dead Redemption 1, which took place in 1911 and dealt with the ending of the West.
- Playstation Exclusivity with early access to select online features.
Large DDos attack on US Friday
Taking out popular services like Netflix, Etsy, Reddit, Twitter, and PSN, one of the largest DDoS attacks on the US and Europe happen on Friday, October 21. Also affected was Amazon Web Service which is used by over 1 million companies, including GE, Newscorp, and Capital One. As far as I can tell, no responsibility as been claimed, but the White House and Department of Homeland Security is looking into it. Could be PoodleCorp, Lizard Squad, or even Russia, however, PoodleCorp did say in September that they would be taking down the Battlefield 1 servers on October 21, but this was much larger than that.
Voice actors on strike
On October 21, 2016 the Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists or SAG-AFTRA has gone on strike after nearly 2 years of negotiations with video game companies. SAG- AFTRA is a union consisting of about 25% of all voice actors for video games. The strike is set to target large video game companies such as: Activision, Disney Character Voices, EA, Insomniac, Take-Two and WB Games. Union workers have gone on strike against any game that was started after February 17, 2015, anything before that was protected under a No Strike Clause.
During negotiations, SAG-AFTRA was looking for a pay increases from $100/hr to around $200/hr, No more than 2 continuous hours of “vocally stressful” recordings, a lack of secrecy from gaming companies (actors have complained that they don’t know what roles or games they are even auditioning for) and an increase in overall pay based on specific sales figures of games. The union workers would like to receive additional full scale payments for every 500,000 copies of the game sold, maxing out at 4 payments at 2 million copies sold.
Video Game Companies offered a 9% wage increase and a maximum of $950 per game based on number of voice acting sessions. This can equate up to a 23% increase in wage for some actors. Gaming companies are also requesting a fine against SAG-AFTRA if there is not an agent representing the union worker during all auditions, fines can range to “tens of thousands of dollars.” They also want the ability to fine the actors themselves $1,000 if they do not show up on time or are not fully invested in the voice work.
There is a picket scheduled on Monday, October 24 at EA’s California offices.
Nintendo Switch info
- Nintendo Stock down after announcement of Switch
- Concept? Console and mobile
- Is there a battery that will be able to support this vision?
- Internet connectivity?
- What does the 3rd party support look like? Bethesda, squareenix, EA, Activision, havok, Konami, SEGA, oppsiesoft, Capcom etc.
- Wii u had similar support when launched and slipped away with low sales numbers.
- Switch will not be compatible with wiiu and 3ds physical games.
- The switch will support Amiibos